Everybody wants to look good and have great skin as long as possible and that calls for serious skin care. I have complied my top 9 eco-friendly beauty tips for you to transition your routine to make it gentler on the planet!
- Make sure your soap is free of alpha-hydroxy acids. These harsh chemicals are used to clear pores, but also damage your skin’s UV protection abilities. Look for an all-natural cleanser while you’re out doing your shopping.
- Use a natural shampoo. Mainstream shampoos often contain sodium lauryl sulfate, which irritates the skin and is also used in garage floor cleaners and engine degreasers. Try an organic homemade shampoo, such as 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar mixed with water.
- Switch to biodegradable cosmetics. Many organic skin care products and body cleansers now come in biodegradable packaging. Look for the biodegradable symbol on the label when shopping. Our favourite place to shop for organic skin care? Miessence organic products.
- Purchase unbleached and chlorine-free toilet paper. Toilet paper is bleached for aesthetic reasons, but this can lead to increased risks of birth defects, cancer, diabetes and heart disease. Next time you’re at the store, look for a chlorine-free brand of toilet paper.
- Make the most of your cosmetics and skin care products. Be sure to use every last drop of your facial creams and cosmetics. Some containers can be opened or swabbed with a Q-tip in order to access the contents at the bottom of the bottle or tube.
- Decorate your bathroom with plants. These organisms thrive by cycling air through their leaves, and are great at absorbing airborne particles and contaminants. They are also a great decorative feature!
- Rather than go through tons of disposable products, choose a regular washcloth over throwaway face wipes, invest in a reusable razor (according to the Environmental Protection Agency, we toss about 2 billion plastic ones each year!)
- Make an eco-friendly hair mask by putting eggs in your hair can actually make it stronger and shinier. Beat three raw eggs with a drop of your favourite essential oil (to kill the stench) and work it into wet hair from your ears down, let it sit for 15-30 minutes uncovered. (You don’t want to cook the eggs with the heat from your head!) Rinse and lather up twice with a clarifying shampoo and skip the conditioner. Do this once every two weeks.
- Did you know that your hair dryer can use up about 1,500 watts of energy in an hour.. Squeeze and blot damp hair with a cloth towel to speed up your strands’ natural drying time. Comb an anti-frizz cream through curly/wavy hair or mist a root-boosting volumizing spray on fine strands. Then slip on a cloth headband or a scarf so hair stays smooth while it air-dries.
Have fun trying our tips on the way to a greener more beautiful you! For green and organic beauty products at Salts Organic we recommend Miessence beauty. Shop them online here.
Jennifer Graham @ Salts Organic Clothing